StingRay - Urskog Krona | Caliber | R-SPEC DUAL REAR | 12S 5Ah | Dual VESC

don't forget to buy epoxy (and not polyester resin)

Hi!
I was on the phone with the company that will sell me the fiberglass and resin, the man was very nice and tried to help me all the way, but he did not understand why I wanted epoxy and not polyester. He kept on saying that using epoxy with fiberglass is wasting epoxy.
Can you tell me why I shouldn’t use polyester? I’m kind of curious now! :?: :?:

http://www.amtcomposites.co.za/sites/de … yester.pdf

there’s a lot of literature on the internet. Both are great, for my usage; epoxy is better… the lack of odor (which does not mean it is not dangerous) is a major benefit, as well as the fact that epoxy does not stick to 3M tape, polyurethane, clingfilm… way more easy to handle.

http://www.amtcomposites.co.za/sites/de … yester.pdf

there’s a lot of literature on the internet. Both are great, for my usage; epoxy is better… the lack of odor (which does not mean it is not dangerous) is a major benefit, as well as the fact that epoxy does not stick to 3M tape, polyurethane, clingfilm… way more easy to handle.

Got it, many thanks!! I like to understand the reasoning behind doing things, so thanks for helping!
I will get on the phone again and ask him for the epoxy and fiberglass.
My friend should pick it up later today.

Many thanks!!

Take 12hours epoxy - some epoxy require 24 hours but waiting when prototyping is not fun :slight_smile:

Finally I have all the parts (minus the bolts for the trucks! :roll: ).
Today I had some time to start building, and now I have some questions for anyone that can help!

Everything layed out, forgot the VESC’s :lol:

Then I started replacing the bushings on the trucks, but I noticed I had received 4 conical bushings, I should have 2 conical and 2 cylynder no? I must have made a mistake ordering, but no matter, I replaced only the conical bushings and the pivot caps.

Then I mounted the bearings to the wheels.

Now, first question, how does the pulley tighten on the motor shaft?
The pulleys came with 2 metal pieces (in the picture) that I can’t figure out where to mount!

And also about aligning the motors and wheels, any correct way to do this?
I think I mounted the motors correctly, and the wheels also, but the gap between the motors is very small, they are almost touching!
How should I align the belt/pulley/sprocket?
(The bolts for the motor mounts and pulleys in the picture are not tightened, just put everything together to see how it fits, it is not definitive.)

Then I put the risers and front truck and put a measuring caliper through the hole to measure the length of the bolts I will need, it’s around 32 to 35mm I think. I will buy them tomorrow!

Then I started replacing the bushings on the trucks, but I noticed I had received 4 conical bushings, I should have 2 conical and 2 cylynder no? I must have made a mistake ordering, but no matter, I replaced only the conical bushings and the pivot caps. ha yes if you command a cone, you get by 2 but only cone ... you have to command barrel then Now, first question, how does the pulley tighten on the motor shaft? The pulleys came with 2 metal pieces (in the picture) that I can't figure out where to mount! it is the 3mm keyway , which fit into the slot of the motor,on the shaft. then hold it on the pulley with the little grub screw : And also about aligning the motors and wheels, any correct way to do this? I think I mounted the motors correctly, and the wheels also, but the gap between the motors is very small, they are almost touching! How should I align the belt/pulley/sprocket? (The bolts for the motor mounts and pulleys in the picture are not tightened, just put everything together to see how it fits, it is not definitive.) yes but she did not touch! this is the most important, look at the Paulfred's kid setup, there are 1 mm and "Busted Board | Vanguard Flex 3 | Caliber | R-SPEC | DUAL REAR 2WD | 12S 4AH | DUAL VESCs"...

I dont know how to say but reverse/return you motor pulley ? possible ??

OK!! I think I got it Riako!
Many many thanks for doing this!
One of the pulleys is missing the grub screw, but I think I have one some place, I have to look for it.
I will get the bolts for the tricks, and then I will try to align everything correctly and tighten.

How do I know the ideal tension for the belt?

:wink: ok great.
For the belt, you must have some mm soft, but all must be stiff enough to “roll” round …
hard to tell, many a video is better :slight_smile:

Gorgeous deck, good luck for the setup !

You can try full conical bushings, it will be carvy :wink:

Gorgeous deck, good luck for the setup !

You can try full conical bushings, it will be carvy :wink:

Thanks man!! Looking forward to seeing this working! :smiley:

This is going to be gorgeous!

Yesterday I got the bolts for the deck, I got them longer than necessary, I will cut them if I have to.
I tightened the mount kit which I think is well aligned, only around 1mm between motors, and I changed the motor mount bolts to the outer positions allowing me to get the pulley closer to the motors without touching the bolt heads.

I think I need more “risers” or perhaps buy a second pair and stack them?
The risers I have are 6.5mm in thickness but the motors sit very close to the deck, I think when turning it will touch the deck.
What is the recommended distance between motors and deck?

(Sorry for the pictures turned sideways, TinyPic does this it is very annoying! :oops: )

hey - awesome build. you may need two additional risers. Just get two and check the motor clearance. You should also change the motor wires direction, making them face the truck hanger.

hey - awesome build. you may need two additional risers. Just get two and check the motor clearance. You should also change the motor wires direction, making them face the truck hanger.

Thanks man! Yes, I had them like that, but as the motors sit so close to the deck, there was no room for the wires to pass between the deck and the motors! I will print some risers today, and see how it goes! Thanks! :smiley:

On my setup I’ve got 1,5/7 cm between the motormount and the deck, just so you know :slight_smile:.

On my setup I’ve got 1,5/7 cm between the motormount and the deck, just so you know :slight_smile:.
Thanks Vulthor!! Good to know!

I found a « customizer » on thingiverse for skate risers (I could design some, but no point in reinventing the wheel!), I’ll print a set with 5/8" (around 15mm tall) which I hope is enough, if not, then I’ll print taller ones, but hopefully 15mm is enough!

yes 15mm should be good for sure, I saw you have like a recess for the base of your trucks, you have to raise more than it.
or other idea to pur 1 to 3° to your riser to it put your motor far from your board…
In any case, good print to you :wink:
I got almost like Vulthor 20mm, but like you love to carve, you need a good clearance for engines can dance down there :smiley:

yes 15mm should be good for sure, I saw you have like a recess for the base of your trucks, you have to raise more than it.
or other idea to pur 1 to 3° to your riser to it put your motor far from your board…
In any case, good print to you :wink:
I got almost like Vulthor 20mm, but like you love to carve, you need a good clearance for engines can dance down there :smiley:

Yes, the customizer allows me to make angled risers!
Would there be any problems with that in terms of handling? Any disadvantages??

Thanks!!

… well its what I make,… I dont really feel many differences. as I positioned so that it rejects the engine of the board, I’m a little bit more less than 50° now, something like 45° maybe, but you need to but on the other way to get more than 50° to to move away.
But if maaybe you will finish by doing something like keep you riser plus the new one and maybe and may in fact return your angle riser to get less degres. 50° good carve > 44° more stable.

(sorry for that English)